Friday, November 13, 2015

Are you Me?

         As part of the challenge in studying Priscilla Shirer’s Armor of God, we are asked to weekly put together a “prayer strategy.”  This strategy is ascertained by combining our favorite verses, quotes and what we hear God saying to us individually during the week of study.
         This combination of thoughts and observations are then to be written on a three by five card written out into a prayer.  (If you saw, WarRoom, you can think, “prayer closet” with post-it notes.)  It is a beautiful idea to help us become prayer warriors in our own right.
         Sitting with our small group yesterday the “prayer strategy” 3x5 cards came into topic.  One of the gals shared her hesitancy in writing out her prayer on the beautiful cards we are provided.  Her hesitancy included wanting to write it out without mistakes.  In her “best handwriting” and “without mistakes” she said. Finally she said she felt so much pressure to not make any corrections she wanted to write it on a separate piece of paper and then transpose it.
         When she finished her explanation, I looked at her and asked, “Are you me?”  She had more eloquently than I can remember to record for you, stated exactly how I feel.  Yes, exactly how I have felt about the cards, but more specifically my life.
         So often, I just don’t want to even start.  Why?  Because I want to be perfect.   Sometimes, I want to hold on to something special or meaningful (a new gift, clothes, pens, lotions…you name it.)  (Moms, really?  I may need to get into counseling based on this confession.)
         All that said, I want to be perfect.  I want to have it all together.  I want to do my best, be the best, excel in all areas.  As ridiculous and impossible as trying to be perfect is, I somehow think others expect the same from me.  (OK, as soon as I finish this post, I’ll make a counseling appointment.)
        
Google Image
As crazy as this is for you to read as a mom, sometimes our children struggle with this same desire.  They want to please, they want to do what’s right and it can easily become a vice in their lives.
         Today, be on the outlook for your desire to be right and do right and look right.  Look for the same in your children.  Encourage them to embrace THE ONLY perfect God Man, Jesus.  Help them to see their need for a Savior and recognize it is not them.

         As I looked at my friend at the Bible study table, questioning if she was me, I don’t want my children asking the same of me. I don’t want them struggling with perfectionism because they learned it from me.  My prayer strategy must contain my need.  And my perfect solution is HIM!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, Joannie - ARE YOU ME????!!! I was literally saying the same thing last night at a ladies meeting!! Perfectionism. I have such strict expectations of myself and my kids but this past weekend's message helped me -- Pastor spoke right to my situation and said something like, "Are you a stay-at-home mom.... all you can do is do your best..." Basically I can't make my kids act perfectly, I can only teach them, guide them, do my best and then the rest is out of my control. Thank you so much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete