Saturday, July 25, 2015

Family Vacations REVEAL A lot


Search me, O God, and know my heart;
    test me and know my anxious thoughts.
24 
Point out anything in me that offends you,
    and lead me along the path of everlasting life.

-Psalm 139:23-24-

I love trips. Long trips. Short trips. Day trips. They are eye-opening, give an opportunity to have fun, and refreshing for all. My family just returned from a 10 day trip, our summer vacation, and we had a blast. 

The first leg of our trip entailed 14 hours of driving with a pitstop half way. With a movie on for the kids, iPads charged, and a full tank of gas we headed off. Most dread driving the distance but not me. It seems as though when I get away on any family trip...God does some revealing in my life. Slipping away from our normal routine, being with my spouse non-stop 24/7, and being in a small confined min-van leads itself to some layers being pulled back. 

God revealed a few areas of my life that need working on. I found the Lord highlighting how I worry a whole lot in small increments throughout my day. If asked about anxiety in my life, I would definitely have said no. But once back home, I realize that things that are out of my control I must hand over to God and let it go. Really let it go. Let it fly out of my mind, and when it wants to consume my thoughts - bring myself to the Word and find relief in His peace. 

I also realized that my kids are really great. Sure they have struggles just like yours, but they have amazing qualities that sometimes the perfectionist momma in me overlooks. We can get into ruts where we completely overlook the character God is chiseling out in our kids. 

Lastly, I found myself praising God for the ability to retreat with my family and make memories we will tuck away in our hearts. I am grateful for our annual trips to Tennessee and our tent, very cheap, campsites at Disney. It gives an opportunity to see life with new eyes. A heart away from the hustle and bustle of normalcy, allows room for the Father to speak Truth into our hearts, giving us new eyes to see the life HE has entrusted us with.

Yeah I like trips. They bring me to a place of seeing life for what it is. Trips are a must. Something we must schedule, save for, and do annually. Can't afford one now? Plan for one in the future. Set a date, a budget, and begin to plan. It is well worth the investment.

What has the Lord been teaching you lately about parenting? life? Truth?

When was the last family vacation you took? What memories did you make?

No comments:

Post a Comment