Saturday, December 6, 2014

You Discipline Because I Need It

I know, O Lord, 
that your decisions are fair; 
you disciplined me 
because I needed it. 
- Psalm 119:75

My kids love to play with the magnifying glass. When lifted, the object below it is made large, where all the small details are seen, that otherwise might go unnoticed. This week God has placed a magnifying glass over my heart and showed me how my mouth is an area of weakness in this season of trial. 

This week, I have found that my son with Aspergers has been extremely trying, and my flesh is weak. Many times I have shouted back at him, instead of pausing to pray. Spewing out my thoughts instead of bringing them before God who can change his heart and mine too! God's word says so much about the mouth...

A truly wise person uses few words; 
a person with understanding is even-tempered. 
Even fools are thought to be wise when they keep silent; 
when they keep their mouths shut, they seem intelligent. 
- Proverbs 17:27-28

As I sit down in devotion and commune with Jesus, He gently nudges me along, directing me to those scriptures that highlight my struggle. Lovingly God reminds me that I need change. I need His Spirit to direct me.

Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life. - Psalm 139:24

Just as we discipline our kids because we love them, so too, does our heavenly Father do that for us. God holds that magnifying glass over that area He wants us to have victory over. Those hidden places we are embarrassed about. Jesus wants us go grow and in order to grow the weeds must be plucked! 

What is Jesus teaching you today? 

What verse can you memorize & cling to for hope?

No comments:

Post a Comment