Thursday, December 19, 2013

Ravens and Jars Part 1

As a mom, a wife, a woman, and a child of God, there is nothing that encourages and challenges me more than the Word of God.  Recently I have received an abundance of encouragement from what God’s word has shared with me through the life of Elijah.  This bit, today, comes from 1Kings 17.

Then the word of the Lord came to Elijah: “Leave here, turn eastward and hide in the Kerith Ravine, east of the Jordan. You will drink from the brook, and I have directed the ravens to supply you with food there.” (1 Kings 17:2-4 NIV)

Elijah had just told King Ahab that, per the Lord, there would be NO dew, NO rain for the next few years until he, Elijah, gave the word.  Then the Lord sent Elijah into hiding because, I imagine, that once Ahab realized this was no joke; the hunt for Elijah would be on. The Lord sent him to a specific place, with the direction that the brook would be his water supply and the ravens would bring him his food.  That was it.  There was no time frame mentioned or discussion on how comfortable he would be by the brook, Elijah just went.



Some time later the brook dried up because there had been no rain in the land. (1 Kings 17:7 NIV)

This is just an assumption but I think Elijah probably noticed the water level of the brook declining day after day.  He probably even wondered what would happen when it was dried up. But it wasn’t until after the brook dried up that the Lord gave Elijah a new direction.


Then the word of the Lord came to him: (1 Kings 17:8 NIV)

And this new direction, by the looks of my map, was about 70 miles away.  So a nice, little journey on foot was ahead of him.  This new direction from the Lord took Elijah to a widow and her son getting ready to have their last meal with the little flour and oil they had left. Elijah told the women, “Don’t be afraid.”

For this is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘The jar of flour will not be used up and the jug of oil will not run dry until the day the Lord sends rain on the land.’ ” (1 Kings 17:14 NIV)

Again the Lord directed and supplied Elijah with what he needed.  And that direction and supply didn’t come until after the brook was dry.

I saw in this God’s amazing and untraditional ways in which He supplies for His children. I also recognized that God did not give a new direction until exactly the time it was needed, His perfect timing.

There was a prayer forming in my heart as I meditated on this scripture: Father, thank you for your direction and your supply. I know mine has been a road of untraditional methods but, amazing and miraculous.  I thank you. I also pray that you would help me to see the amazing and miraculous more than I see the level of the brook going down or the long journey.  Instead, help me to see the ravens and the jars that are always full when it is time for the next meal. And to wait patiently on Your direction in Your time.


I seem to be in constant need of God’s reminders to stay focused on Him.  With this reminder I found myself wondering if I would notice the ravens and jars if there were no brooks drying up and no long journeys.  Would I see God’s hand constantly at work in my life if I did not see the need? Am I that prideful that without the need, I would think, “I sure do have my life together.”?  It saddens me more than I can express to say... that I probably would. Thank you Jesus for what you can do with the most ugliest of hearts!

No comments:

Post a Comment