Monday, August 27, 2018

Take the Time

Tonight after dinner the boys went out for some special time with Daddy. Leaving me and my five year old daughter at home getting ready for bed. As we readied our hearts to wind down for the night, I fit in some "special Mommy time." I began sharing with my girl how I have seen such a change in her heart over the past year. From year 4 to 5 I watched as she strived to fit in with the popular girl her age in our community. Watching and longing to "fit in,"  most days realizing it probably wasn't going to happen. I saw much sassiness and less humility flowing through most of her relationships. Many meltdowns when the answer was NO and dishonoring her Mommy became a constant.

As we cuddled and I stroked her wet hair, she began to weep. She expressed sorrow for the past year and how she longed to go back to being 4 years old. This opened up the door for me to share about how HIS mercies are new every morning and that our sin is what Jesus died for. How the Lord longs for us to repent and ask for forgiveness. So right there, my daughter prayed and asked Jesus to cleanse her sweet heart of the heaviness she had been struggling with. We cried and rejoiced over the newness of tomorrow leading into a new year ahead. How God longs to restore brokenness. I am so grateful I had tonight with her. 

Many days are so busy and we must be intentional. Each night our family's goal is to spend 10 minutes with each child individually where they pick the activity we do without interruptions of other kiddos. Undistracted time where we can play and talk together. Tonight that time was so fruitful with my girl! I am grateful for our special time. It showed me that so many behavioral struggles are deep rooted issues greater than the behavior we see manifested. That even a little five year old can hold onto hurts and reflect that in her interactions with others. I am grateful God's Truth leads us to repentance. How God redeems the ugly for something beautiful if we will just hand it over to Him.

Oh how I long for special time now with my kids. Realizing that it is impactful for them...and for me too! What special time can you carve out for your kids today? Trust me it will be a deposit that will reap amazing dividends.

Lamentations 3:22-23 God is our morning song he will be our light!

No comments:

Post a Comment