Monday, August 20, 2018

Pray for Them

11 years ago the Lord started me on a long journey. I gave birth to a healthy son, who on the outside looked like every other baby, but at age six we would learn has Aspergers with a few extra challenges. As I have parented him the Lord has weaved many many lessons into my life. I have been stripped and humbled much through the ups and downs of social situations. I am constantly learning things aren't always what they seem and so much is beyond the surface. 

Every new social situation gives way for training about acceptable behaviors and trying to be Jesus as we do it. We have hurt others and been hurt ourselves. Trying to find acceptance with peers while remembering to be ourselves void of nervousness. Trusting God is Sovereign even when we don't see purpose in that experience or how it was necessary to our growth.

Six months ago I watched God move. I observed part of our story...His story...unfold. There was a boy who had been so wounding with his words and actions towards my kiddos for three years. We ran in the same circles, hung out at the same places, and enjoyed similar things. At times I really hoped God would remove us from that circle. He didn't. 

But God... pressed upon my heart to have my kids pray for him, from our first struggle. We prayed many many prayers over that child, and that God would help us love well even though our hearts were hurt. Daily we prayed when encounters happened. At night we prayed as thoughts of him swirled our minds before bed. Thoughts of painful words said... as our hearts were breaking. Three years of pleading with Jesus and no results...or so we thought. 

Our pain had purpose. Six months ago after many prayers lifted we watched God move. The same little boy we had been praying for had a change of heart. God changed his heart. God answered our prayers. God moved. The little boy reached out in compassion and love towards my son who was undergoing surgery. That boy prayed for my son right before he went under. He showed that change of heart we had been praying for. WOW! Only God. God had a plan that was hidden to us. 

Jesus wanted my kids (and me too if I am totally honest) to learn how to show love and compassion to our "enemy." God showed us that HE does hear and His timing isn't always ours. The Lord gave us a glimpse into the supernatural and how we're a part of a bigger story. Hearts do change with prayer. Our heart toward our enemy and our enemy's heart towards us. Its easy to love the lovable and those who treat you well, but love and forgiveness lived out IS the GOSPEL. 

God sees. Struggles are real, Jesus is good, and trusting in Him takes faith. Even when the Lord looks silent and still...He is working beneath the surface. He is always working. Who do you need to forgive today? Pray for them and... wait. 

                  Just be still and know HE is God. 

                                            Related image

No comments:

Post a Comment