Sunday, August 12, 2018

Special Needs With Special Needs

This week has been a tough one. My son, with Aspergers entering 6th grade, has really been grappling with not having any friends. All of his good buds, who accept his many quirks and love him unconditionally, live far away. We sat and cried together as I shared about those quiet times in my adult life where I felt alone and without a friend. I told of those days I, too, desired a buddy and felt without. 

We talked about seasons, knowing that although they seem like they will never ever end that indeed they...eventually do. Seasons in life have hidden processes working beneath the surface, things greater than can be seen with the human eye. The tree that looks dead in Winter is storing necessary nutrients for Spring when it will shed beautiful colors and form. We conversed on how God continues working even when it feels very still and quiet. Insides are being fashioned and nourished for a future season. We pray each night and believe God is working. Laying this trial at His feet trusting God is knitting together the perfect friend for him. 

God is entrusting hidden treasures, as my son grows in his faith and trusts during a time that is uncomfortable and not fun. A work in secret spaces of his heart, God will expose as beauty in this next season we walk out. Its hard to watch, if I am very honest. Alone, with my face in lap, I have cried many times over my child who struggles so with social situations. It seems as we grow older, our struggles follow suit. 

God formed us with a heart for community from the beginning. It is not good to be alone. The Lord has tucked away a truth in my heart as of late...I must be intentional. I need to keep my eyes wide open for those opportunities for us to be the friend we are looking for.  Focusing not on our own struggle but how HE might use it for His glory. How Jesus might want us to befriend another who is longing for a friend too. Will it be hard? Um yeah, of course! But if I believe that God works it all for good, then this too He will use for His glory as we continue to seek His face through it all. I continue to rest in the sovereignty of God. This season will bear much fruit if we allow the nutrients sown in Winter to be used in Spring. 

2 Corinthians 1:3-4
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, 
the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,  
who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can 
comfort those in any trouble with the comfort
 we ourselves receive from God.


What is God asking you to be intentional about? Have you seen truths sewn in your life lately that God wants to use for His glory?





2 comments:

  1. So well put 💕. God is growing beautiful, strong trees... well planted & watered.

    ReplyDelete