Wednesday, February 24, 2016

From Generation to Generation (Written by my Mom, Bernice Blewitt)

My Mom, Dora Henriksen died last Thursday, February 18,2016.   She was 94.  We had a memorial service at our church this past Sunday.   As I was preparing what to say in her honor, I realized how much my Mom has shaped my life.

I don’t ever remember my mother giving me any advice – you know, the sit down and let’s talk – about how to get along in this world.    And yet, she taught me everything.

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.”   Galatians 5:22, 23

My mother taught me, not by words, but by how she lived.  She lived the fruit of the Spirit.  And how she lived her life would forever direct my life.  I watched her love people – she took in anyone who needed a place to live for a while (and there were quite a few of them), I watched as she comforted those who were mourning, as she was a friend to the house-bound, as she provided for more people than I could count.  My Mom made sure we knew about Jesus and showed us how important it was to live accordingly.

She taught me how to be a wife to by husband: respect, obedience, and yes, submission.  My husband, when we were dating, told me part of his attraction to me was my parents – that he wanted what they had.

I am a grandma now, but my Mom showed me the responsibility never ends to be the example to our children (and grandchildren) that leads to a life well lived. 

“My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth.   And by this we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before Him.”   I John 3:18, 19

1 comment:

  1. My sympathies to you and your family, Laura! Your grandmom was a very special person and I have fond memories of her from the Islip UMC and the stories that she (and others) told about "the good ol' days" before me. Your grandmother sang beautifully and we all had a lot of FUN in the choir. (In addition to praising God!) Again, please say "hello" to your mom and family from my mom, my family, and me.
    With fond memories,
    John (Hulse) DisneyJohn@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete