Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Setting the Pattern

1 Timothy 1:16 “…for this reason I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show all longsuffering, as a pattern to those who are going to believe on Him for everlasting life.”

I took this verse seriously and applied it the day it came up in my morning devotion time.  I know that when you ask God for patience, you will be tested.  I know that the testing, though, produces a greater thing than just you getting through the test – it delivers a lasting deposit into the young lives around you.  The pattern is started and if you continue, the pattern will be set.  Those God has placed around us are taking note of how we handle situations.  When you see your kid freak-out because a sibling spilled milk, take a listen.  Does it sound a little like words and a tone-of-voice you’ve used?  I am guilty.

However, if I remember where MY mercy came from and show patience as a set pattern to those who are going to believe on Him for everlasting life I better change my words and tone-of-voice.  Do you believe God wants your kids to join Him in everlasting life?  Then change your pattern if it is not set in patience.  I have to.  The Holy Spirit has been sent to help us. 

Now that I’ve seen this verse, I am holding myself responsible to do it.  Will you do it with me?  Let’s set the pattern for our kids’ sake ultimately leading them to everlasting life starting right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment